Saturday, March 2, 2013

A Fall Craft Finally Finished

A while back, in September I think, I was recruited to make a sign for a friend that said "Peace, Love and Candy Corn" for her house. And I started it in October, knowing I wouldn't get it to her in time for Halloween but at least thought I'd get it to her by November. Well, life happened and I never finished. But this weekend, I FINALLY finished it. So now she'll have it for next Halloween and Thanksgiving. 

So here's the process.

I bought an old cabinet door at a flea market (Canton) for $1.

I spray painted it white.

Then using a bright orange and yellow, made it look like candy corn.

Then I cut out the words using my Cricut and black vinyl.

I decided to use the other side for  generic Fall decor. So I left it the color of the cabinet door alone and cut my vinyl letters out using my Cricut. I didn't have a peace sign on any of my Cricut cartridges so I had to have my friend Dina, who has a Silhouette cut one for me (it's going in the blank space beneath Peace).

As you can see below, I spray painted it a burnt orange color and peeled the vinyl off. I had my husband drill 2 holes for me.

Using a really thick gauge jewelry wire that I had on hand, I ran some wire through the hole, added a bead and twisted the wire using my jewelry tools (pliers).


Then I strung some fun chunky beads on the wire.

I ran the other end of the wire through the other hole, added a bead and twisted it as well.




Can't wait to give it to her!


Linking Up With These Great Blogs:

Alderberry Hill,      Tutus and Tea Parties,      The Rustic Pig Designs     Or So She Says,      My 1929 Charmer,      Super Handmade Sunday @ A Cat- Like Curiosity,      Lil' Luna          Craft Geek,      Simple As That      House on the Way,      Sassy Sites     Mindy May's Market,   Skip To My Lou,        Sugar Bee Crafts,      Cheap Crafty Mama,      Be Different, Act Normal,   Homemaker In Heels,     The Busy Bee's,      Fireflies and Jellybeans   The Shabby Creek Cottage,     30 Handmade Days    52 Mantels,     The Shabby Nest    Lovely Crafty Home See Vanessa Craft,     Blissful Bucket List,     Bacon Time With The Hungry Hypo    Lena B, Actually,     Pocket Full of Pink,     Family Ever After,      I Heart Naptime,     Six Sisters Stuff Nifty Thrifty Things,     Homemaker on a Dime,     Under The Table and Dreaming,     Flamingo Toes   It's Overflowing,    Ivy And Elephants   Clean and Scentsible,    Creations by Kara,     Tip Junkie,      Love and Laundry,      Create. Craft. Love.,     Sarah Dawn Designs,     One Artsy Mama,      Tatertots and Jello,     The Grant Life,     The Hubby Made Me,     Kitchen Fun With My Three Sons,       The Chiffon Diary,     Manic Mother    The Thriftiness Miss,     Say Not Sweet Anne,     Becoming Martha,     Too Much Time On My Hands    Destination Craft,     The Dedicated House,      Katherine's Corner,   C.R.A.F.T.,    Fluster Buster,     Nap Time Creations




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is unbelievable...like brains on the ceiling unbelievable. A cabinet door?! Erin, I am just floored. And it's double sided AND I like signs that incorporate "y'all." You nailed it big time, sister. Cannot thank you enough. I am touched by the work you put into it. Thank you!!!!
Tricia

Sarah Leonard said...

What a lovely gift idea! I am loving the two sided feature too :)

Thanks for linking up!

Sarah @ A Cat-Like Curiosity

Katherines Corner said...

how clever! What a wonderful way to repurpose the cabinet door. Thank you for sharing your lovely blog at the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop xo

Katie @ Horrific Knits said...

It's adorable!

Thanks so much for linking up with Inspired Weekends! Please stop by Horrific Knits on Friday for the next round!

Emily Thompson said...

this is so super cute!!! Love the colors and the words are great too! You've been featured on Nap-Time Creations! Come on over and check it out. Grab a featured button if you don't already have one. I spread the word around social media, please reshare the posts too!!