Sunday, February 3, 2013

Heart Canvas

I knew I wanted to make some sort of heart accent piece for the mantel but my original idea was a bouquet of heart flowers but switched to this heart canvas.

The finished product doesn't really convey all the layering and textures. But believe me, in person, it looks pretty cool!


To make the heart centerpiece, I used the metal sheets that I was able to get from Lifestyle Crafts via Joann's. I just made a heart template out of card stock. Traced it onto the metal sheets and then cut it out.

Next, I ran it through my Sixix machine. All you do is lay the cut out metal heart inside of this embossing folder (it opens up, just like a file folder, just make sure you measure your embossing folder prior to running it through to make sure it will fit. I used a 4 inch heart).

You layer the black pieces on either side of the folder and run it through the embossing machine. 


And here you can see the embossed heart.

Lightly paint it with acrylic paint and let it dry.

After it was dry, I rubbed a distressing ink on top and immediately sprinkled it with an embossing powder.

Then, use a heat gun to seal it and this is what you get. You HAVE to do the drying as soon as possible after you ink it and sprinkle it with embossing powder. Otherwise, it won't work. I learned this technique at The Little Blue House. Love that place! If you're ever in the DFW area, look 'em up. 



Now for the canvas part. I used modge podge and pages from an old book as a base coat.

Then I used food coloring with modge podge to add a pink glaze on top.

Then I used my distressing pad to add some gray to it.


Then I just went crazy with my brushes and bubble wrap.




After looking at the painting for a while, I decided to re-do the center metal heart using a black ink instead of gray.




I added the metal heart in the center. 
That's it! 
Fun! My problem is knowing when to stop. :)


Linking Up With These Great Blogs:

Alderberry Hill,      Tutus and Tea Parties,      The Rustic Pig Designs,      Or So She Says,      My 1929 Charmer,      Super Handmade Sunday @ A Cat- Like Curiosity,      Lil' Luna          Craft Geek,      Simple As That,       House on the Way,      Sassy Sites,      Mindy May's Market,   Skip To My Lou,        Sugar Bee Crafts,      Cheap Crafty Mama,      Be Different, Act Normal,   Homemaker In Heels,     The Busy Bee's,      Fireflies and Jellybeans,    The Shabby Creek Cottage,     30 Handmade Days,     52 Mantels,     The Shabby Nest,     Lovely Crafty Home,  See Vanessa Craft,     Blissful Bucket List,     Bacon Time With The Hungry Hypo,     Lena B, Actually,     Pocket Full of Pink,     Family Ever After,      I Heart Naptime,     Six Sisters Stuff,  Nifty Thrifty Things,     Homemaker on a Dime,     Under The Table and Dreaming,     Flamingo Toes,    It's Overflowing,    Ivy And Elephants,    Clean and Scentsible,    Creations by Kara,     Tip Junkie,      Love and Laundry,      Create. Craft. Love.,     Sarah Dawn Designs,     One Artsy Mama,      Tatertots and Jello,     The Grant Life,     The Hubby Made Me,     Kitchen Fun With My Three Sons,       The Chiffon Diary,     Manic Mother,     The Thriftiness Miss,     Say Not Sweet Anne,     Becoming Martha,     Too Much Time On My Hands,     Destination Craft,     The Dedicated House,      Katherine's Corner,   C.R.A.F.T.,    Fluster Buster,     Nap Time CreationsThe Mandatory MoochLamberts Lately, Made From Pinterest

12 comments:

Vanessa said...

Hi, Erin

This turned out great! I love all the colors you used. Lovely!!

Vanessa

Sarah Leonard said...

I love this. I am really enjoying the whole collage and canvas thing at the moment.

Thanks for linking up!

Sarah @ A Cat-Like Curiosity

Unknown said...

This is really cool. :)

Unknown said...

What an amazing piece of art! Love the colors and the use of old pages. I may have to try this.

Thanks for the inspiration!
Jen @ Noting Grace

Roxana White said...

Oh I hate it when a photo doesn't show the texture and layers. Your photo shows some, so I KNOW it must be even better in person! Thanks for the how-to! Love it :)

Rose said...

Well, your art is 'familiar' to me. Have a look here at some of my painting, to know what I mean: http://www.finecraftguild.com/real-heart-art-for-valentine/

Happy Valentines Day to you!

Spittin-Toad said...

Love it!! It must have been fun to do because it says happy at a glance! :)
Denise

Craftypants in Chief @Bespangled Jewelry said...

Very cute! Stopping over to say Hi from the CSI Project link-up. I love the embossed metal heart and the blue is a great (+ unexpected) accent with the reds and the pinks! Love the mantel too!

Emily Thompson said...

super cute! I love the textures!! I host a Tuesday Link Party if you are interested in checking out a new party... I've also got some awesome giveaways on now until Monday night... stop by!!! http://www.nap-timecreations.com/2013/02/chinese-new-year-in-boracay.html

Fluster Buster said...

I just got rid of a bunch of books and now I'm finding all of these wonderful ideas that I could have used them for. Thanks for sharing at Fluster's Creative Muster. Looking forward to seeing what you link up next week.

Katherines Corner said...

♥ Sorry I'm late getting here...thank you for adding your wonderful blog to the Thursday Favorite Things hop. xo

Lindsay Artsy-Fartsy Mama said...

Loved how you finished the raised hearts. Thanks for linking up to Artsy Corner :)