Monday, June 11, 2012

A Super Hero Party for a Girl



We went with a Super Hero theme because when I asked her what theme she wanted for her party, at first, she said Spiderman. Then she changed it to X-men. I had a feeling it could keep changing until her party arrived so I suggested a Super Hero party so that it would cover anything she might change it to (if she changed it to Princesses, I'd have been in trouble). 

My party planning began with finding the perfect invitation. I found this one on Etsy and printed them at Artscow.com. It seemed cutesy and girly while still being Super Hero.

While I was searching for the invites, I talked to Sophia about where she wanted to go for her birthday party and we tossed around a few options, but she kept going back to Build-A-Bear (she'd gone by this particular  one on one of our playdates). This Build-A Bear is inside Cook Children's Hospital and 100%of the money spent there goes directly to the hospital. So I decided that we'd have it there even though I knew it was gonna be a little crowded and pricier than we normally do for her parties.

So here's what I came up with for decor....a cityscape with Super Heros. They are just shipping boxes that we'd been collecting throughout the year from Amazon. I wrapped them in black wrapping paper that I found at Party City. I cut a variety of squares and rectangles from yellow scrapbook paper to be the windows. I just attached them with glue stick. Some buildings have been layered on top of other buildings to give more height and variety. I just wrapped all boxes first and then played with attaching them. I used Zip Dry to glue the boxes together.

I added captions like Pow! and Whoom! using my Superman Cricut cartridge.



We had to use Mylar balloons (latex free zone) so I didn't get as many as I'd normally have gotten.


I made Superman capes for each guest to take home and hung them on the back of each chair. Pink emblems on half and yellow for the other half.


Here's my happy birthday banner.....

And here's my sweet Sophia!

I think Sophia loved it all!

Each year, at her parties, I choose a book to go with the theme of her party and have all her guests sign it. I was able to find this cute book! How perfect for her theme!


I got the cake from Hot Chocolates. They did a great job!




Here's a better view of the capes.

I bought a variety of masks from Party City that were on the tables, so they could grab a cape and a mask, if they wanted to.


Each child got to pick an animal, stuff it, bathe it and dress it with a shirt of their choice.


I think Sophia was enjoying herself.









They did their normal heart ceremony except this time, all the kiddos got 2 hearts, one to put in their animal and one to put in Sophia's animal.

Here's all of her guests...I think. It was hard to get everyone in one place.

The kids were READY for food! Chick-Fil-A nuggets, chips and fruit snacks (the gummy sugary kind), balanced out with some organic juice boxes. :)


Then it was time for cake. Sophia wanted chocolate.



Happy birthday sweet girl!

Hope you enjoyed it because next year, I'm going to attempt to throw your party on a budget. That's the plan anyways.

Also, if you wanted to see how I made the banner, the cityscape or the capes, see previous posts that have tutorials for them.

No comments: