Friday, June 8, 2012

How to Make a Super Hero Cape

Since we're using a super hero theme for my daughter's birthday party, I decided (because I'm crazy like that), to make capes for the kids to take home with them. 

So here's what I did .....
(and just FYI, I'm not a sewing expert, so there may have been an easier way to make a cape).

1. I made a pattern using some scraps of white fabric I had. I folded the white fabric I had in half. You can see the measurements I used written below in pink.

 It's 31 inches long (these capes are for 3-5 year olds). I made a mark at the top 5 1/2 inches from the fold. And I made a mark at the bottom 11 inches from the fold. Then I drew a line connecting the 2 marks.

I used a small plate to create the circular neck hole.

 Then I cut 1/2 inch away from the lines I made (seam allowance).

2. Open your pattern. Lay it on your fabric and cut around it. Cut 2 pieces for each cape (I used about 1 1/4 yards of fabric for each cape).

3. Line up 2 pieces of fabric that you've cut and sew them together (for my fabric it didn't matter about right sides but if your fabric has a right and wrong side, make sure you lay right sides together because you'll be turning the cape inside out later).

4. Make sure you leave an opening (I'd recommend it being about as big as your hand), to turn the cape inside out. I left my opening along the bottom of the cape and tried to leave it a little to one side or the other (but not on the corner).

5. I trimmed a little off the corners to help with getting a nice edge once it's turned inside out.

6. Turn the cape inside out and iron it. 

7. Now time to make the Superman emblem for each cape. I used Heat and Bond (it irons right on and you don't have to go back and sew around the edges). I used the Cricut cartridge called Superman. It was $25 on Amazon. I originally was looking for a lightening bolt because I figured, surely Cricut has a weather cartridge (and I'd probably use it again, more often). But I couldn't find a cartridge with a lightening bolt. So if you know of one, please share!

The Heat and Bond has a paper-lined side and a textured side. I cut a 12 x 12 piece of fabric. I cut a 12 x 12 piece of Heat and Bond. Lay the fabric on the ironing board. Lay the Heat and Bond on top with the textured side down, paper lined side up.

 Iron it (just follow the instructions on the package). But be careful. When I did the yellow emblems I had no problems with scorching the fabric but then later in the day I switched to pink emblems and I guess the iron was too hot or the water I added to the iron didn't agree with the Heat and Bond and it scorched the fabric a bit (when I did the yellow emblems, there was no water in the iron). 

After you've ironed it, peel off the paper lined side.

See, it's a little scorched.

Lay the fabric with the Heat and Bonded side down, directly on to your Cricut mat. I used the plastic liner my mat came with to help me get my fabric on there without wrinkles. The liner allowed me to start with lining up the fabric at the top without having to worry about the bottom portion of the fabric sticking where I didn't want it to stick.

I set my Cricut to the lowest speed, the highest pressure and a blade length of 5. It worked pretty well. I've done this before with thicker fabric and I got a much cleaner cut (I made sure to use a new blade and new mat for this project). This fabric was super thin (I went cheap), and didn't get as clean of a cut. But it worked out ok.

8. Iron on the emblem. I used a tape measure to help me get it in the same spot on all the capes.

I used pink emblems for the girls and yellow for the boys.

9. Add Velcro tabs so the capes will stay on the kiddos. The product I used was an iron on Velcro (heat activated). 

When I was attaching the Velcro I kept the first cape I started with on the ironing board, just to remind me where the Velcro needed to be placed (when I do projects like this where it gets a little monotonous, my mind wanders and I tend to mess up stuff).

 I attached all the pieces (I cut the Velcro into little inch pieces). Then, once all the capes had Velcro, I ironed the Velcro. I used an assembly line process for this project. 

And by the way, when I was looking for Velcro in the sewing section, many of the products said not for use with fabric. So just make sure you check before you buy.

10. The final step was to sew the little opening at the bottom shut. But I made 19 capes and by the end of this project, was tired. SO, I used Liquid Stitch to glue it shut. But don't tell anyone. :)

Sophia loves her cape! She even wanted to wear it to school. 


donna said...

Love it! You amaze me

Carole said...

I know a little guy who would just love this. Cheers

Kim Griffith said...

I want to commend you on the clear and EZ directions. You made it SOOOOO easy to make. My 5 y.o. grandson thanks you (& me) and my 4y.o. granddaughter does too.