Saturday, October 6, 2012

Homemade Applesauce

I don't usually put recipes on here but Sophia really loves this homemade applesauce so I thought I'd share it. 

I used granny smith apples the first time and have since switched to gala (per Sophia's request). I used about 5 or 6 apples. I cored them.

Then I sliced them up (leaving the skins on).

I used about 2 cups of this apple juice that has less sugar (this last time I used an all natural, freshly pressed apple juice with no artificial or regular sugar added. It has no preservatives). Of course you could just use all water and add white or brown sugar.


I filled the rest of the pot with water and sprinkled a little cinnamon on there. I also added a 1/4 of honey. Next time, I'm going to try all water and 1/2 cup of honey.

I boiled the apples for about 20 minutes.

Then I used the ninja (just use whatever food processor or blender you have), to puree it.


I allowed it to cool and dished it up into individual servings. I put some in the freezer.


The first time I made it, Sophia wasn't a big fan. But recently they'd been studying Johnny Appleseed at school and requested I make it again. She went to Target and helped me pick out the apples (they had taste tested a variety of apples at school and she picked out gala apples). And she helped me add the ingredients and anxiously watched me puree it. She LOVED it!

I have a feeling we'll be making this again soon. 

And another bonus, it made our house smell heavenly!